Tabletops and Vegan Sausage

In my preparation for my life with Walter, I have been following other van lifers on social media. I’ve messaged them, asked them questions, and I am determined to learn from their advice. One thing that was mentioned was to really, really, really think of the design of your van and consider what you want to do and what you currently do when designing your van. This has led me to reconsider going with the big bed in the back with a garage underneath design and instead go with a setup that allows me to sit at a table that can be converted into a bed when I go to sleep. 

Originally I wanted the garage set up for storage, creating a kennel space underneath for the boys. I like the idea of having a pull-out drawer for my bike for quick cleanup after hitting the trails, but I don’t own a mountain bike at the moment, so it's not a part of my lifestyle. What is a part of it? Blogging and photography. A good table/desk set up with storage underneath the booth seating and overhead cabinets might just be the route for me. If I get a bike in the future then I can reconsider the design of my van, or I could just invest in a bike rack and Walter could start accessorizing a bit! 

Quite a few of the van lifers I follow are vegans and that has led to a very different consideration for my van that I hadn’t anticipated: What will I be eating in my van? I have decided on a very particular kitchen set up that allows me the use of an oven and stovetop. I am too much in love with cooking to compromise much. However, in talking with others in how they live, I learned that one benefit of eating a more plant-based diet while living in a van means only having to deal with grey water, not to mention easier disposal of trash. I’ve done all this research on gym memberships for showers, and countless hours in deciding whether or not a small compostable toilet would be worth the cost, and yet I hadn’t thought about my food prep and the waste that comes from that. 

So for the sake of science, I have spent the last month trying out more plant-based meals, and I’ve been pleasantly surprised. There are so many food options out there that I previously turned my nose up to because of preconceived opinions. I’m still not sure if a completely vegan lifestyle is for me, but I have found a new appreciation for a different way of living and had some fun making new foods and seeing what restaurants have to offer. It’s also allowed me to see and consider the way someone else lives their life. 


That’s all for this week. I hope the new year has been good to you all so far! Oh, and if any of you are interested, the sausage in the picture is made by Field Roasters and you can check out these other cool van lifers on Instagram: @mnmlmillenials  @eh.mon  @rebeccamoroney @40hoursoffreedom  @comeswithaview




Comments

Popular Posts