Naked in a Cave

Yes, you read that right, I was naked, in a cave. And in front of people too! I walked through the beautiful underground caves in Schoharie County, New York.  In celebration of International Nude Day, Howe Cavern put on a naked tour event. I walked through these beautiful caves with roughly two hundred other naked individuals. I even went on an underground boat ride! It was a bit strange and nerve-racking at first, but you know what? It was a pretty damn cool experience. 

I bought the tickets for the event quite a while back. So far back that I forgot about it, so there wasn’t a lot of time to fret over the whole thing. About three days before the event I started getting cold feet. I mean, come on, I was about to go climbing around naked in a cold, semi-dark cave in the cold with a bunch of strangers. I decided that it was a once in a lifetime event and well, why not!

The venue was absolutely amazing and those running the event were wonderful. They thought of everything. The whole place was blocked off from those who did not buy tickets. That way there weren’t any local looky-loos.  Participants had to be at least 21 and had to check in when you arrived. Upon check-in I received a numbered wristband with a matching numbered bright green bag. I also received a robe with the words “I disrobed at Howe Caverns” embroidered on the lapel. I put all my belongings and clothes into my bag and checked it. That was that; I was standing in nothing but a robe and my tennis shoes. 

There were musicians, a bar and food, and we all had the ability to roam around and enjoy the property. I took my complimentary drink and went and sat out on the expansive deck and watched the sunset behind the beautiful green mountains. I chatted with those around me and met some very interesting individuals. As someone who has never done something like this before, I had a few preconceived notions of what kind of people would be doing this. To be honest, I thought there would be a lot of strange people and a lot of men who were looking to just get a chance to see naked women. More people than I ever imagined showed up, so I’m sure that there were a few strange individuals, but from what I saw everyone was very polite, well mannered, welcoming and just plain awesome. Everyone was just so normal — everyday individuals who held 9 to 5 jobs. Most were there with their significant other. There was a couple celebrating their anniversary. Another couple was there for the first time, like me and thought, “why not go do this crazy thing?” Another couple saw that I was alone and pretty much adopted me into their little group. They made everyone around them feel comfortable and accepted. 

For the most part, the robes stayed on during this time. When the cave tours started we walked over and went through another checkpoint. Here is where we could check our bags if we still had them and get rid of anything else we couldn’t take with us. Cell phones and cameras were prohibited as to the sensitive nature of the event. We all squeezed into the elevator and rode down together in groups of about fifteen. Everyone was laughing and having a great time. It was like being in a room with your closest friends you hadn’t seen in forever. Once inside the cave, they had yet another coat check. This time for our robes. The hangers had numbers that corresponded with our wrist bands. I handed them my robe and just like that - naked.

I don’t know if it was because everyone else around me was so nonchalant about it or because everyone working the event was so chill but it didn’t seem weird or even eventful to pull off my robe and step into the 52° cave. I slowly stepped forward and got lost in the beauty of the caves. They were absolutely gorgeous. The way nature created all those formations is truly breathtaking. 

I also saw beauty in the people around me. Really everyone was perfect. No two bodies were the same, but each was beautiful. The couples that attended had the biggest impact on me. In particular the very welcoming couple I had met earlier. I learned earlier that night they met later in life and have been together for over 25 years. They held hands and walked through ahead of me. I only saw them for a short period of time before I was lost in my own cave exploration. They walked by like they were the only ones there. And as cheesy as it sounds, it was like they were surrounded by a bubble, a bubble filled with everything they’ve lived through together, overcome together, their children, their life, their love for one another. It was the most beautiful thing I saw the entire night. 

The whole thing was so surreal and empowering. I’ve carried my fair share of body shame throughout my life; just as I’m sure a lot of others do. That night taught me that it doesn’t really matter. I saw what humanity can be. When we are stripped down of our fears and preconceived ideas and prejudices, we can be incredibly loving, accepting, and beautiful creatures. We are all so different and our bodies are ever changing. It’s something in my life that I hope I can carry with me and remember when my own judgmental thoughts peak through. 

I walked naked through a cave. I did it. Check that off the bucket list!



Comments

  1. Wow!! What a powerful experience!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed it thoroughly...love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss our daily chats but am happy to have found your blog - I feel like I can still “hear” about your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts