Auld Lang Syne

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne?

I’ve never paid much attention to the lyrics of that song before this year. Everyone will be sharing their resolutions and hopes for the coming year, but I want to reflect on this last year and take a moment to think about all my wonderful friends. 

To all my longtime friends who have stood by through thick and thin I want to tell you how much I love you and am grateful for you. Thank you for your constant words of encouragement and love. Thank you for all the times you’ve checked in to see how I was doing. Thank you for all the messages full of funny memes and jokes to make me laugh. Thank you for the links to job listings, school admission sites, competition opportunities, and new yoga meetups. Thank you for the invites to hang on the couch and have a glass of wine. Thank you for your ears and shoulders. My heart is so full for each and every one of you.

To all my new and old acquaintances that have turned into friends, thank you for stepping into my life. Thank you for all your new ways of thinking and perspectives. Thank you for the laughs and new adventures. Thank you for the neighborly wave when I walk up the drive. Thank you for the invites to bonfires and dinner. Thank you for the inclusion and understanding of being an outsider to a new place. Thank you for the warmth and kindness.

To all my old friends that have become old acquaintances, thank you for the memories. Thank you for the lessons learned. Thank you for the nostalgic smile when listening to familiar music or visiting familiar places. Thank you for helping shape me into the person I am today. 


To all of you, I wish you the very best in this coming year and send you all my love!  And to answer the question:

And there's a hand my trusty friend!
And give me a hand o'thine!
And we'll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.



Comments

Popular Posts